Can’t Get No Job Satisfaction? Think Again.

85% of Americans are satisfied with their jobs; however most would change something if possible, or at least this is what a recent survey from Ipsos Public Affairs’ Omnibus Division recently uncovered. In the May survey, US Work Place Satisfaction, it seems as if most workers are satisfied with their job, but would like a more appropriate salary (27% with women 34%), and benefits (17% with women at 19%). What would I change? Well probably a more comfortable chair, room with a view, access to more K-Cup coffee machines, and an ability to walk on water.

But if these requests cannot be satisfied, maybe it’s time to take action and change jobs. 41% of Americans think it is likely they will change jobs in the next 12 months, and Millennials top out at 56%. Are Americans really fickle, or looking for a change? Whatever happened to the dawn of “Organization Man”, William Whyte’s seminal work from the 50s, where Americans graduated high school, got a job, and then parked their bottoms at a desk or assembly line, and didn’t move until Mr. Fat-Pension-Profit-Sharing-Palooza was dumped in their laps enabling retirement in Sarasota, FLA until dust to dust sets in.

We also asked, “If you found out tomorrow you were financially able to quit work, would you, and only 40% said they would stop working, and the remaining 60% said they would prefer to continue working”. Say what? That’s not my American dream. Powerball will set you free! I live by this motto. Heck, I even changed my license plate to read; “PWRBALLR”. Twiggy CronDog, my boy from Southie once told me, “If you don’t play, you can’t win. Can you live with yourself knowing what could have been”? How can you ignore the advice of a man named Twiggy? Exactly, you can’t.

Even my financial advisor admitted under oath that you can’t beat the return on investment from a $2 winning ticket, and all you have to do is throw caution to the wind with the 175,223,110 odds for winning. And as my nerdy mathematician and statistician friends tell me all the time, “when you factor in the square root of π, and multiply it by Ω and then divide by β, you will see how silly it is to play more than one $2 ticket. You simply don’t improve your odds”. Huh?

In closing, and after we plow aside the tongue and cheek, what can we glean from the findings from this quick Omnibus survey research:

  • Seems like employers have satisfied employees, but to build retention, and maintain greater longevity and loyalty with employees, fair pay and benefits go a long way to mitigating work force migration.
  • Younger up and coming workers (Millennials) are looking to move and experience more with their career, and they will be the toughest to retain regardless of fair pay and benefits.
  • There is a genuine desire to work in the US when 60% say they would continue even after they are financially well off. Uncle Sam can feel proud.